Friday, March 25, 2005

In Which I Yell in Capital Letters

The Schiavo Case is really, really, really, really, really on my nerves.

People are outraged. People are picketing. The news is plastered with Schaivo updates. This is some serious stuff. This is critical.

Here's why this is making me angry:

Every year 15 million children die of hunger.

One in twelve people worldwide is malnourished, including 160 million children under the age of 5.

One out of every eight children under the age of twelve in the U.S. goes to bed hungry every night.

Every 3.6 seconds someone dies of hunger.

It is estimated that some 800 million people in the world suffer from hunger and malnutrition, about 100 times as many as those who actually die from it each year.

Where is the hoopla for the 160 million undernourished children? Where are the non-stop, breaking news stories on the 10 people who died of hunger since you've been reading this? Where are the picketers for the 1/3 of the world that is starving?

Does Jeb Bush have his team of lawyers scouring the books to find a way to save the children?

To continue with the pukefest:
For Methodist minister Robert Schenk, who's kept a steady vigil outside Schiavo’s hospice, religion is the central theme of this debate. His side says the focus should be on saving human life.

WHAT IS MR. SCHENK DOING TO SAVE THE STARVING CHILDREN? HUH? WHY DOESN'T HE FOCUS ON SAVING THAT HUMAN LIFE?

Why? Because, it isn't news worthy. Mr. Schenk and all his fundamentalist cronies want to be where the issue is. Not to be confused with where the publicity is. Money is. TV spotlight interview is. Riiiiiight.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, love your site. I visit often, it's on my favorites.
I agree the Shivo case is very frustrating, as well as serious stuff. Ironic that it was brought about by an eating disorder? I didn't know that until I read the link, thanks.
Only in the land of plenty do people choose to starve or continue to nourish the completly incapacitated. Does technology surpass our ability to do the right thing. We're learning, evolving, I suppose. We'll catch up, I hope.
What to do? What do you do to affect world change? I feel stymied. Sometimes, I think sell everything, better yet give it away! Take up my cross, ya know? Anyway...
Love, Aunt Kate

10:57 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

Hi! Thanks for coming by! :o)

I know what you mean about affecting world change. It's something that I struggle with all the time.

I posted an interesting quote that Will found about materialism. We (as Americans) do have too much stuff! How can the stuff in storage be bringing us any joy?

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home